Reggio nell’Emilia[a] (Emilian: Rèz; Latin: Regium Lepidi), usually referred to as Reggio Emilia, or simply Reggio by its inhabitants, and known until 1861 as Reggio di Lombardia,[b] is a city in northern Italy, in the Emilia-Romagna region. It has about 171,944 inhabitants and is the main comune (municipality) of the Province of Reggio Emilia.
The inhabitants of Reggio nell’Emilia are called Reggiani, while the inhabitants of Reggio di Calabria, in the southwest of the country, are called Reggini.
The old town has a hexagonal form, which derives from the ancient walls, and the main buildings are from the 16th–17th centuries. The commune’s territory lies entirely on a plain, crossed by the Crostolo stream.
Recipe of the podcast
Reggio Emilia inspired Parmigiano Reggiano, Prosciutto di Parma and Spinach Stuffed Chicken
What’s in it
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen spinach(thawed and drained), chopped
- 1/3 cup soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 2 slices of Prosciutto Ham
- 1/4 cup shedded Parmigiano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Aged balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze, optional
Let’s put it together
- Preheat oven to 400°. In small bowl, combine the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Cut a pocket horizontally in the thickest part of each chicken breast. Fill with spinach mixture, and ham scales: secure with toothpicks.
- In an 8-in. cast-iron or ovenproof skillet, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on each side. Place in oven; bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss asparagus with remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt; add to skillet (with the Chicken) in oven. Bake until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165° and asparagus is tender, 10-15 minutes longer. If needed, drizzle with vinegar. Be sure to remove the toothpicks before serving. ouch!
1 stuffed chicken breast: 347 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 39g protein.
Roasted Apples from Florance
Roasted and carmelized… This fast, simple recipe is a little different from your mothers baked apples. Start by washing and coring a few varieties of apple (red, green, yellow). Slice into wedges with the peel still on. Place the apple wedges in an ovenproof dish, season them with orange juice, brown sugar or honey, a pinch of nutmeg, lots of cinnamon and some coarsely chopped almonds. Bake in a hot oven at 390-400°F for about 15 -20 minutes and serve in their warm agave and a small spoonful of whipped cream.